Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Paint is a flyin' dawn to dusk...

Long day today throwing some paint around, 12 hours in the shop and my head has been swimming from activity (all the paint fumes didn't help either ;) )

So, here's what's going down. Last post I had primered Chris's road frame and fork and some bars and today I put down lots of color.

Chris wanted to use vanilla shake and pale titty pink and left the design up to me. Chris is very meticulous with his bikes and likes to keep the chips and scratches to a minimum, so I decided to do a white frame with pink panels and a reverse 50/50 splatter from back in the day. The splatter allows for the colors to transition and look balanced while serving the functional aspect of making touch ups a breeze, keeping the bike looking new for a loooong time.

I began by laying down two coats of pink on the frame and fork...

I then masked off the panels and layed down two layers of vanilla shake, feathering the panel edges to reduce the hard line transition. In this pic, I spun the frame around to view the coverage from all possible angles...

Skipping through the paint flicking and lots of masking, we've got the first coat of clear down. The colors are very subtle and are difficult to pick up in a picture, but she rocks in person!

Booty shot...
and the fork, too!
I'll sand, shoot another coat of clear, sand, apply decals, and then two more coats of clear on top.
I painted a bunch of custom bars today as well.
Here's a blue ghost flame jobby for a customer in Germany...5 different colors and 9 layers of paint in this airbrush work, once again, wish you were here to really pick up the vibrant details.
and the day ended as it started, in the dark.

I picked up the paint today for Eric's bike, the belt drive project, and some grandeur blue for a Bringheli lugged frame I'll be spraying...
See y'all Friday,
rody

2 comments:

OLD-METAL said...

Like the pink and vanilla,..
makes a sweet bike!

hansdativ said...

Aw, my Luv Handles! Pretty curious about how they fit. Let you know! Thanks!