Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fred's Ho fork for his Bonty...

It's been said that excuses are like @ssholes...everyone has one and they all stink. In that vein, I'll simply say that the last 10 days or so have been pretty tough time wise, emotionally, and more than a little stressful. Juggling two full time jobs and helping run a race series definitely took it's toll. So I ask your understanding in my lack of posting and email.

In between all that other crap, I've been knocking out some of the 15 forks this month. As I promised Fred I'd show some pics, here's his fork project from last week; a Ho fork to match his vintage Bonty that is seeing some urban/townie use.

The Ho fork is a blend of many different styles that I've liked through the years; box crowns, straight bladed legs, hooded drops, yielding a fork that is distinctive, tracks better than any other, and offers nice compliance over the rough stuff.

I started out by working on the box crown, mitering in the slots for the legs and rounding off the top of the crown to match the leg. Then it's off to the mill to miter in the steerer tube cut, an angled slot that is set up to allow for the fork offset.
The steerer slides through the miter and has the rear section exposed, allowing for super surface area coverage of the weld bead...the cutter's view for ya.
Now you can see how the steerer slides into the crown, you are looking at the backside here...
And with the steerer vertical, how the crown now is angled allowing for the fork offset to be seen...
I slide the crown into place, the bottoms flush, and then measure out where the crown race will end up...
Once I know where the crown race will sit, it is welded in place...
The crown re-fit and then welded up...

The fixture is then set up to account for the correct fork dimensions, the dropouts placed, and the fork legs measured up for the final length. I then cut in a 2 degree miter on the end of the fork leg and turn the other end down in the lathe until the final length is met.
And whalaa! Here our fork sits loosely in the fixture. Before tacking, all pieces will be tightened up and the gaps will miraculously disappear.
A final wipe and I begin tacking it together. I typically will hit about 2 tacks around each joint, gently check the alignment with a dead on wheel and calipers, then back into the fixture for final tacking and then sequential welding.
...an hour later (give or take dependant on how many visitors/phone calls/ questions from the kids) we have a finished rough fabrication...
Canti bosses are then placed, tacked, checked again with a wheel and classic canti arm, then fully welded on...
Kalten and I also worked on some Luv Handles while Emmy took on a special project.
The signs that mark the entrance to Vulture's Knob had become faded and weathered in the last 15 years since they were first hung. Every time I ride there, I think, golly I should take those down and paint them. Getting ready for this weekends race was reason enough, so Em took on the challenge. Here she is, only slightly covered in paint, just finishing up the day long project.
and after a bit of drying in the sun, we hung them back up with new stainless hardware...looking good for another 15 years?
Race report tomorrow, it was good stuff!
rody

1 comment:

Feel It: The Factory Rider said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22787467@N02/sets/72157619732671412/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/27518066@N05/sets/72157619653548703/

Here are some photos from Saturday. Good to see you out there. I participated with Kalten in the novice and ss wootown. Cool kid.