Thursday, July 1, 2010

Week in review...

Well, my week of vacation from the Fire Department is over.  Despite the "vacation" moniker, I did not get very much time away, being called back in for 38 hours during my time off, so it put a strain on my grand goals in the shop. Folks often ask why I don't quit working for the fire department and focus solely on building...gotta be honest, the climate for the independent business model is tough to swallow when considering health care costs for the family and 20 years already invested in a retirement system.  When you take a look at many of the full time pros, it's rare to find a builder who is the sole income provider, raising a family, and is making a living that is sustainable in today's economic climate.  I've often wanted to work on an statistical research project that queries this small niche of craftsman to give some honest answers of the demographic for those who show interest in building frames for a living, to truly map out the feasibility.  Perhaps someday, when time allows.

Anyhoo, I was able to bust out some work in the hours not already demanded by "the man".  I finished up the final retro cruiser bike, building the fork, bar, and wheels up.  The spec looking like this...

Frame - Groovy retro- a mix of Deda, Columbus, and straight gauge 4130 ovalized tubing, with paragon sliders fitted for road slicks to 2.5" knobbies, painted in porcelin green with white
Fork - Groovy Titanium unicrown
Bar - Groovy Ti Luv
Stem/Seatpost - Thomson
Saddle - Brooks Swift
Brakes - Magura Marta SL
Wheels - Phil Wood SLR hubs, DT Comp spokes, Stans Arch rims, Stans Raven tubeless tires
Drive Train - White Industry Eno crank and freewheel with Connex Single speed chain


Given my random shop hours, Kalten and I worked on banging out 50 bars for June, spending three days cutting, mitering, and welding the steel and Ti pieces...

Steel and Ti parts awaiting their turn for welding...
A box of steel bars sorted and ready for powder...
and a Ti bar cooling, ready to go for surface finish in the blaster...
Working at the FD yesterday and today, I had a nice treat.  A group of cross country riders stopped by and used our facility for their lunch stop on the way from Akron to Gambier.  The group, Bike and Build, raises money for affordable housing, donating both money and labor to groups like Habitat for Humanity along their route.  They ride for 6 days, and then spend one day working on a housing project as they ride their way across the country.  Nice group of kids.  Good luck to y'all on the rest of the trip...
If I ever get out of here, I have the plumbing on the fixture to finish so I can begin welding Chad's frame (lots of pics to share Chad, thanks for your patience) and Todd's Yo resto to finish and get out the door by Monday.

cheers,

rody

4 comments:

Easton Heights Blogger said...

Rody,
just curious about that Ti fork; any chatter under braking?
I watched a road rider come to a stop sign downhill on my block the other day, the chatter was highly apparent on his (I presume) carbon fork. glad I ride steel...
thanks for the updates BTW! I really do look forward to your posts!
Keith

Rody said...

Keith,

It's still early to comment with much conviction as I've only got two of these forks out there right now, but it's been rode fairly hard on some technical, rocky terrain with steep descents and no discernible chatter has been detected yet under the 200# plus riders. It's designed with a large amount of surface area contact on the steerer and a nice outer diameter to maintain the stiffness throughout the leg, so any additional torsional force should be shared over the length, providing predictable response.

I'll see if I can get Jay to write a review of it for ya.

rody

stevied said...

careful with that axe, eugene.

Sweet build with the Phil hubs.

Sky_Guy_1 said...

That retro-cruiser is toooo nice !

Any plans to start making those Ti unicrown forks on a regular basis ? A 440 axle-to-crown for rigid single-speeders ?