Monday, August 15, 2011

Smith Dairy Road Race...dominated by folks of the dirt?

Yesterday was the Smith Dairy Road Race, a big to-do hosted each year by Roger and the Orrville Cycling Club for Smith Dairy, fine purveyors of milky yumminess.

I was working away in the shop feverishly to fix a stupid mistake, so my in the field reporter, Steve Twining, was good enough to give his first hand account.




Fresh off his course record setting time trial at Findley last week, Steve had forged a quiet alliance with his former teammate and now full time roadie, Jeff Pendlebury.  Here's Stevies account...



Smith Dairy Milk Race
 
I had the pleasure of assisting Jeff Pendelbury in an impressive road race win at the Milk Race in Orrville, Ohio. Jeff has taken a time out this season to switch to the dark side of racing to see how the other side lives. If today was any indication, I bet they wished he had kept his tires in the dirt. Jeff showed me and the rest of the field today what he is made of, as he powered away to a 10 mile final lap solo victory. Fellow teammate, Carey Wenger (“Expert Has Been”, my arse) had the front row seat to the victory. Carey drove the lead St. Highway Patrol car for our class. I can only imagine his excitement inside the car was through the roof, as was mine for the great victory. It was awesome!

The local mountain bike crowd was present and in the center of the action. Jason Suppan of Soupcan Insoles showed the roadies how it is done in the masters 35+ race. Jason was assisted by the help of fellow teammates and dirt slayers Wes Jones and John Lorson. I bet they helped to make the difference in the race. I also saw several mountain bikers contributing by course marshaling with one riding a lead moto.
I would like to personally thank the family of Jeremy Grimm for the care and effort they have given Jeff this season. I heard they have learned first- hand what it means to loan Jeff racing equipment. Rody knows all too well what the equipment will look like when it is returned. I am also certain that they have learned what else Rody already knew about him. Jeff is one of a kind with his strong family ties, thirst for success, and sheer speed that shocks almost all competitors.
I am putting it in writing, so don’t be shocked when cyclingnews.com reports that Jeff is your 2011 Iceman champion. I know I am going to do all in my power to help get him there.
Thanks for the great ride Rody,
Steve Twining

Congrats to all our great folks in the community of dirt...nice to see you had a good day on the pavement, looking forward to seeing your talents again at Manatoc in a couple of weeks ;)

rody

1 comment:

Experthasbeen said...

Nice article Steve. I didn't know you moonlighted as a journalist.